Sunday 14 March 2010

Evaluation 4: How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

Perhaps the most valuable piece of technology I used during my media coursework is Blogger. I have used blogger to record everything i have needed to whilst I have been undertaking my coursework. Blogger has been used since the beginning of my coursework and till the very end. I have found a very useful piece of software as it allows me to keep in close contact with my group members and to also have an easy access to all my previous blogs which may contain information i needed. Blogger is a recent piece of technology that has come about due to the phenomenon which is the internet.The internet has been an integral part of my media coursework, especially when it comes to research. The internet offered me the chance to look at every music video in the world with the broadcasting website YouTube being very useful. As before, the internet is a new piece of technology which has become very important in the way we live and work. YouTube was also very useful when it came to planning as it had tutorials of how to use Final Cut and Photoshop. Without these tutorials the main task and ancillary task would have taken far longer due to me not knowing the basics of the software. Facebook is a social networking site on the internet that allowed us to gain further audience feedback for our music video to help us evaluate.

Another useful piece of technology was Final Cut as it offered us a great chance to edit it an advanced way. Final Cut is a very sophisticated piece of software that allows the user to a
variety of effects. We took advantage of this software by changing the brightness and contrast of the video so that the video looked more bould. This was just one of the many tools available from final cut. Final cut also offers the chance to see the timeline at the bottom which shows the user where their piece of footage is in comparison with the time on the song. I feel that Final Cut was a great piece of software and that it defiantly helped when constructing our music video. iMovie is another piece of editing software that i used when i was evaluating as i have access to it at home. I also used iMovie to convert our music video into a movie file as Final Cut didn't offer us this option.



Another piece of technology that was very useful in the construction of our ancillary tasks was Photoshop. When i started first using photoshop i didn't feel it was very user friendly as it was quite complicated to work. However after tutorials and practices i managed to get the hang of it which enabled me to progress while helping our with the magazine advert and digipak. Photoshop was also useful when it came to doing research as we used it early on to see what its capabilities where. This enabled us to figure out if we could use the software and how long the tasks we take using it.

The Sony video camera we used was another very useful piece of hardware, although problems with other camera's meant only a few number of camera's could be shared amongst serveral media groups. However we were very lucky to be able to film when we did as no one else needed the camera then allowing us to have priority over it. We would record our music video using this camera and it was wireless (unlike an older version we used on our second day of filming). The camera recorded onto tapes and using a firewire we transferred the footage onto the computers at school. The video camera was a very useful tool whilst constructing our video as it offered us the chance to film a high quality music video as well as being easy to use.

Fianlly, the last piece of technology we used was the iMac. This is the computer we used throughout our whole project and it gave us access to the software above like Final Cut and Photoshop. Its speedy connection with the internet meant we could research on YouTube in high quality as well as construct our video. The iMac is a different sort of computer from your typical desktop but as i already have a mac, i managed to get used to the controls faster than anyone in my group and when they forgot what to push I would know. This meant that the group would ask me to help if i was needed so i was always involved with them

Overall the technologies I used throughout my media coursework have allowed to push for the highest of quality finish along with me learning new skills. I found that in some areas it took time to adapt to the using this new software available, but i can safely say i cam grateful that i did take advantage of the resources i had as it has helped me to produce a good product and a good piece of coursework.

No comments:

Post a Comment